Tuesday

Sweet Poison #9

My 2:37 a.m. insomniac transmission inspired by a late-evening text party and a double dose of Ethan and Julie.

*warning*
cigarettes cause death and other stuff.
coffee may cause you to do things faster.



Coffee and Cigarettes, A Poem

Covered or roofless-
Paris
New York
Boston...

Even Los Angeles
.

Clean linen
Empty porcelain and clay
waiting...

patience wrapped in a vestige of sleep

I sit

No need to read the menu

I need smoke on liquid-
what can lift the clouds from my eyes,
and sink them deep
into my lungs.

What will smooth out this gallimaufry of words
at the tip
of my tongue.

I need an éminence grise,
of sorts.

One of cinema's greatest romances...
to soften my morning retorts.

It's all here,
when the waitress arrives-
press in hand

left
right

i press my impending satisfaction
into my hand

Create a spark-
Lift to lips
Light
(crackle and smooth burn)
Inhale...
Exhale...
Put down

Breathe

Create

Sink in spoon
Stir
(clank and swirl)
Lift to lips
Sip...
Swallow...
Put down

Breathe

Create

and so on...
...and so forth

until i my insides are stained black
until i'm as high as a skid rowian on crack

until the final-
drop
flick
period.

until the next -

dose

of one of life's great simple pleasures,
the coffee and cigarette stack:


<